Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Mexican Mojito


Do you get that I like tequila? I honestly don't drink much. I made this one single drink and I was done. It's a week night after all!

My sister sent me this recipe from a Rick Bayless Mexican cookbook. Who knew there was such a thing as a Mexican Mojito? Mojitos have never appealed to me because I don't like rum much (or any other liquor). But making it with tequila?? Game on!


I thought this was sweet, just a little minty, and it went down well. I would make it again, maybe with less sugar? Or maybe steep the mint in the hot water first?? I just thought it would be more minty, and I even used more mint than it asked. Hmmm. I need to think.


I made just the one drink so I followed the per glass proportions, making a small amount of simple syrup (1/2 cup hot water, 1/2 cup sugar, shake until dissolved).


Mexican Mojitos – adapted from Rick Bayless’ Fiesta at Rick’s
Makes eight 12 oz drinks

8 large sprigs fresh mint
1 ½ cups simple syrup
Ice cubes (you will need about 2 quarts)
2 cups 100% silver tequila
1 ½ cups fresh lime juice
Sparkling water or club soda

Set out eight tall 12 oz glasses. Put the leaves stripped off a single sprig of mint into each glass – you’ll need about 10 leaves for each drink. Divide the simple syrup among the glasses (3 tablespoons/1.5 oz per glass). Use a muddler (or the handle of a wooden spoon) to crush the mint, releasing its flavor into the syrup. The more muddling, the fuller the mint flavor. Fill each glass with ice. Measure the tequila (1/4 cup/2 ounces per glass) and the lime juice (3 tablespoons/1.5 ounces per glass). Use a long handle, ice tea spoon to mix everything together. Top off each glass with a little sparkling water or soda.
Thanks, SisterFriend!

No comments: